- 447km / 282 miles
- Fantastic trails, places, scenery & activities
- Exploring rural Nepal & Chitwain National Park
- Rather Be Trip Leader & Nepali bike guide
- 16 days / 15 nights
- Explore Kathmandu & lakeside Pokhara
- Excellent routes & great riding
- Fully supported & all bags transferred
Please call us on 01768 778848 for our Nepal trip dates in 2018/19
Dates are available for Private Groups by arrangement – contact us for details
Arrive Kathmandu airport and transfer to hotel. Due to different arrival times we meet up as a complete group for the first time in the evening and have a meal together in our hotel.
Overnight in Kathmandu in a 3 star hotel. Meal/s included: D
Today we take in a morning’s sightseeing tour of Kathmandu visiting a couple of the city’s historic and / or religious sights. In the afternoon we build up our bikes in readiness for the adventure ahead.
Overnight in Kathmandu in a 3 star hotel. Meal/s included: B
Ride from Kathmandu to Chitlang. We start our adventure by firstly negotiating Kathmandu. Leaving the city behind we stick on tarmac roads until we reach Thankot, where we hit our first trails. It’s an uphill ride to Bhanjyang and then downhill to tonight’s camp site in Chitlang.
30km / 19 miles – 50% Off Road. Overnight camp at Chitlang. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Chitlang to Tistung. As we get further away from the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu we become immersed in Nepalese culture. Our route is never short of spectacular views to absorb or busy countryside scenes of terraced farming. We ride off road as far as Markhu and then continue on the sealed road until we reach our camp at Tistung.
25km / 16 miles – 60% Off Road. Overnight camp at Tistung. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Tistung to Hetauda. We start today with the classic Nepalese road climb up to Daman (2587m) before we hit the swirling downhill to the Terrai lowlands. With over 2100m of descent this is freewheelers dream come true …. Before reaching camp we’ll pop into the Motel in Hetauda to sign their “bike” book …. on Autumn trips (avocado season) we’ll be able to sample their famous avocado omelettes as well.
55km / 35 miles – 100% On Road. Overnight camp at Hetauda. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Hetauda to Chitwain. Today we enjoy spinning out through the flat terrain of the Terrai towards Chitwain National Park. Stopping en route at a local Tharu Village in Sauraha and, time permitting, we also visit Bishhajari Tal (20,000 lakes).
70km / 44 miles – 100% on road. Overnight in a lodge (just outside Chitwain National Park). Meal/s included: B, L & D
No riding today! We swap our bikes today for a bit of R&R and head off into the Chitwain National Park and the jungle. You can choose from the following included activities: exploring the jungle on elephant back, bird watching, an early morning croc spotting canoe trip or visit the elephant breeding centre.
Overnight in a lodge (just outside Chitwain National Park). Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Chitwain to Bandipur. In order to get back onto classic off road XC tracks and trails we’ve a “transit” ride today on tarmac roads through a spectacular rural Nepal landscape. Descending until we reach Muglin we follow the sinuous highway to Bandipur and our camp for the night.
70km / 44 miles – 100% On Road. Overnight camp in Bandipur. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Bandipur to Gorkha. An excellent mix off and on road trails this morning till we reach Khaireni. The twisting tarred road climb up to Gorkha follows. This spectacular road winds it’s way up the hill – look out for the section along the ridge with the sublime views – it’s worth a photo stop. The busy roadhead town of Gorkha is a hive of activity and the hub that is the town’s bus station is well worth a wander through. Time permitting we may visit the historic Durbar (Fort) perched high above the town.
32km / 20 miles – 25% Off Road. Overnight camp or hotel in Gorkha. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Gorkha to Palungtar. It’s a classic XC off road day with a gnarly descent to the Daraundi Khola river followed by a gradual climb up to Palungtar and our camp.
32km / 20 miles – 100% Off Road. Overnight camp at Palungtar. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Palungtar to Kalasti. Another classic day of Nepalese riding – jeep tracks & singletrack through a stunning landscape of rice paddies and rural farming.
30km / 19 miles – 100% Off Road. Overnight camp at Kalasti. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Kalasti to Begnas Tal. Riding though small villages that seldom see Westerners we savour another day of amazing scenery and welcoming Nepalese culture, oh ….. and the riding’s pretty neat too.
48km / 30 miles – 100% Off Road. Overnight camp by Begnas Tal. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Begnas Tal to Phewa Tal in Pokhara. We complete our epic journey to Pokhara today with a mellow off / on road ride into town. No doubt first stop in Pokhara will be for a chocolate brownie and a coffee at Mike’s Breakfast down by the lake. Anyone would think you’re on holiday…..
30km / 19 miles – 40% Off Road. Overnight in Pokhara in a 3 star hotel. Meal/s included: B & L
Day ride from Pokhara around the Sarangkot Circuit. For those of you with that last bit of energy to burn today we will cycle up to Sarangkot to get a closer view of the Annapurna Range and the incredible mountain of Machupachari. In the afternoon, in between Lakeside chilling and squeezing in some gift shopping, we’ll pack up our bikes for their overland journey back to Kathmandu with our crew.
25km / 16 miles – 50% Off Road. Overnight in Pokhara in a 3 star hotel. Meal/s included: B
We leave the lakeside Pokhara behind us today and fly back East to bustling Kathmandu on a morning flight. The remainder of the day in the city is free for exploring and some last minute shopping. In the evening we meet up in Thamel and enjoy a celebratory meal.
Overnight in Kathmandu in a 3 star hotel. Meal/s included: B
Free time in Kathmandu until it’s time for your transfer to Kathmandu Airport from our hotel.
Meal/s included: B
- 15 nights accommodation* as detailed in the trip overview.
- All meals as detailed in the trip overview.
- Meal Key: B – Breakfast, L – Lunch, D – Dinner.
- Kathmandu Airport transfers to / from group hotel on arrival & departure days only.
- Pokhara to Kathmandu flights.
- Airport transfers in Pokhara
- Overland Bike Transfers from Pokhara to Kathmandu.
- A choice of jungle activities in Chitwain National Park on Day 7.
- All baggage transfers in our baggage vehicle.
- The services of a Nepali Biking guide.
- The services of a, UK qualified, Rather Be Cycling Trip Leader – ALL GROUP SIZES.
- The services of a baggage vehicle driver / assistant / crew.
- Access to commonly required tools and mechanical advice & assistance.**
- A half day sightseeing tour of Kathmandu.
*We use a 3 star hotel when staying in Kathmandu (3 nights). When cycling we use a mix of full service camping and lodge accommodation. All accommodation is allocated and priced on a twin occupancy basis. Please contact us for Single Occupancy Rates.
**Please note that whilst we are prepared for the most likely mechanical issues we cannot carry spare parts / tools to deal with all eventualities. Please ensure your bike is fit for purpose before your trip – we are happy to advise you.
What’s Not Included
- International and / or Domestic Flight/s to and from the start (joining) point and end (departure) points of the trip.
- Any excess baggage charges relating to outbound and / or return flights.
- Visa/s as required.
- Travel Insurance – compulsory.
- All drinks e.g. bottled water, coffees, teas, alcohol, etc.
- Spare / replacement bicycle parts & accessories e.g. tyres, tubes, wheels, etc.
- Other expenses e.g. souvenirs, additional food, etc.
- Tips – at your discretion but encouraged for the local guide and crew.
- Certain meals on certain days – please refer to trip overview.
- Your spending money.
- A modern, good quality mountain bike – hard tail with front suspension or full suspension – is ideal for this trip. We suggest 2.1 mixed terrain off road tyres at minimum.
- Your bike should be fully serviced, and thoroughly tested, before your holiday.