- 450km / 281 miles
- Ride from Kathmandu to the Himalaya
- Great Biking with Time to Savour & Explore
- Fully Supported & All Luggage Transported
- 15 days / 14 nights
- Spicy Single Track
- Rural Nepali Life & Tamang Culture
- Rather Be Trip Leader & Nepalese Biking Guide
Sat 27th Oct – Sat 10th Nov 2012 READY TO ROLL
Arrive Kathmandu airport and transfer to hotel. Due to different arrival times we meet up as a complete group for the first time in the evening and have a meal together in our hotel.
Overnight in Kathmandu in a 3 star hotel. Meal/s included: D
Today we take in a morning’s sightseeing tour of Kathmandu visiting a couple of the city’s historic and / or religious sights. In the afternoon we build up our bikes in readiness for the adventure ahead.
Overnight in Kathmandu in a 3 star hotel. Meal/s included: B
Ride from Kathmandu to Dhulikel. We get started on the rough stuff early today spending most of our time off road until we arrive in Dhulikel. We aim to arrive at our camp by mid afternoon and, with luck, we’ll catch a spectacular sunset splashed over the Himalayan horizon.
36km / 23 miles – approx. 75% Off Road. Overnight Camp in Dhulikel. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Dhulikel to Nagarkot. Keeping our eyes partly on the trail and partly on a spectacular horizon of the World’s highest mountains we ride a mixture of road and trails en route to tonight’s camp at the hill station village of Nagarkot.
40km / 25 miles. Overnight Camp in Nagarkot. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Nagarkot to Kakani via Sankhu. Today’s ride has a real cross country feel to it. Hitting the trail early we feel the early morning breeze on our faces as we descend off road all the way to Sankhu. After a break we hit the sealed road for the twisting climb up to Kakani, on the Kathmandu Valley Rim.
58km / 36.25 miles. Overnight Camp in Kakani. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Kakani. We start with some dreamy single track from Kakani to Gurju Bhanjyang before the gnarly downhill to Thansing Phat. After lunch today’s final section is on sealed roads.
50km / 31 miles. Overnight Camp. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride to Kalikasthan. Although today is short on distance it’s not a day to be underestimated. We climb all morning on a sealed road until we reach the camp in time for a late lunch.
26km / 17 miles. Overnight Camp at Kalikasthan. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Kalikastan to Dhunche. Climbing is the order of the day today on the roads to Dhunche (1,950m). A reasonably early finish today allows for some chill out time, bike maintenance or some additional exploration.
25km / 16 miles – 100% On Road. Overnight Camp at Dhunche. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Dhunche to Gatlang. We start today on the sealed road until we reach Syabrubesi (1,400m). We then switch onto cracking off road trails and the climb up to Gatlang (2,200m).
30km / 19 miles – approx. 50% Off Road. Overnight Camp at Gatlang. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Gatlang to a camp below the pass. This is an amazing day of off road riding in the shadows of the Himalayas.
45km / 28 miles. Overnight Camp. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from the pass to Somdang. Today’s a totally off road adventure so it’s time to chew up the trails.
35km / 22 miles – 100% Off Road. Overnight Camp at Somdang. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Somdang back to Gatlang (via a different route). A long and downhill-tastic day on jeep tracks and trails so close to the Himalayas that you feel like you could just reach out and touch them. It doesn’t get much better than this ….
75km / 47 miles. Overnight Camp at Gatlang. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Ride from Gatlang to Syabrubesi. Technical trails and super singletrack to Thambochet. Followed by more downhill and singletrack to Syabrubesi.
30km / 19 miles. Overnight Camp at Syabrubesi. Meal/s included: B, L & D
Drive from the Syabrubesi to Kathmandu. This morning we load our bikes up for the road transfer back to Kathmandu. This stunning journey takes approx. 4 hours so we stop for lunch en-route. Once back in the city we pack our bikes ready for our departure tomorrow before hitting the town for a well deserved slap up meal.
132km / 83 miles drive back to Kathmandu. Meal/s included: B, L
Free time in Kathmandu until it’s time for your transfer to Kathmandu Airport from our hotel.
Meal/s included: B
- 14 nights accommodation* as detailed in the trip overview.
- All meals as detailed in the trip overview.
- Meal Key: B – Breakfast, L – Lunch, D – Dinner.
- Kathmandu Airport transfers to / from group hotel on arrival & departure days only.
- All baggage transfers in our baggage vehicle.
- The services of a Nepali Biking Guide.
- The services of a Rather Be Cycling Trip Leader.
- The services of a baggage vehicle driver / assistant / crew.
- Access to commonly required tools and mechanical advice & assistance.**
- A half day sightseeing tour of Kathmandu.
*We use a 3 star hotel when staying in Kathmandu (3 nights). When cycling we use a mix of full service camping and lodge accommodation. All accommodation is allocated and priced on a twin occupancy basis. Please contact us for Single Occupancy Rates.
**Please note that whilst we are prepared for the most likely mechanical issues we cannot carry spare parts / tools to deal with all eventualities. Please ensure your bike is fit for purpose before your trip – we are happy to advise you.
What’s Not Included
- International and / or Domestic Flight/s to and from the start (joining) point and end (departure) points of the trip.
- Any excess baggage charges relating to outbound and / or return flights.
- Visa/s as required.
- Travel Insurance – compulsory.
- All drinks e.g. bottled water, coffees, teas, alcohol, etc.
- Spare / replacement bicycle parts & accessories e.g. tyres, tubes, wheels, etc.
- Other expenses e.g. souvenirs, additional food, etc.
- Tips – at your discretion but encouraged for the local guide and crew.
- Certain meals on certain days – please refer to trip overview.
- Your spending money.
- A modern, good quality mountain bike – hard tail with front suspension or full suspension – is ideal for this trip. We suggest 2.1 mixed terrain off road tyres at minimum.
- Your bike should be fully serviced, and thoroughly tested, before your holiday.